baby on a budget: circle quilt
I started this quilt on Monday morning and it went so much faster than I thought it would. Here it is two days later and it's complete.
I decided to just stick to a circle design. Originally I had a lot more fabric colors to choose from, but in the end it just looked too busy and random. I finally set aside six fabrics that I thought went together best, then looked up pictures of other circle quilts online to get a good idea of what kind of layout to do.
That zig-zag turquoise fabric in the upper left-hand corner was leftover from the crib bedskirt I made a few weeks ago. I chose that black and white chevron fabric to continue that theme, then chose the green and light turquoise prints because they have little stars on them. I chose the yellow print because I figured the quilt would need another pop of color, and then the navy blue print was used because navy blue and grey have been the main colors used in the nursery so far.
Once I had everything sewn together, I added a navy blue border to the quilt top. I made it wide enough to where it would still show when I added binding later on.
As for the backing, I found an awesome grey chevron print. I cut it a little wider on all sides so I could fold it over as the quilt's binding.
And just like that, I was done!
I'm loving it. Of course it's not without its little imperfections, but once it all came together I realized that any mistakes I made weren't all that noticeable anymore. It means something to me because I designed it myself and made it specifically for this little guy we've waited for for so long. :o)