1.13.2012

"hi" and "bye" doormat


Today I felt like doing a really quick, instant gratification project.  Didn't feel like dragging out the sewing machine either.  So I went and looked at all my bookmarked projects ideas on Pinterest and then came across this awesome doormat idea.  Perfect.  I decided to give it a try with one of our old doormats first.  That way if I messed it up it would only be a few bucks lost to replace the doormat (which I was probably going to do soon anyway...check out the raggedy corners on this thing).

I don't have a Silhouette or other craft cutting machine, so making my own stencils for the letters was out.  Then I remembered a set of foam letter stamps I found on clearance at Hobby Lobby back when I was still pregnant with my son. Yep, over two years ago, and these babies were still in the package.  Time to break them out.

The process was as easy as you're thinking....brush a little yellow acrylic paint on the foam stamps and then press onto the mat.  That was it.  Ta-DA!


I like the idea of being greeted right when you walk in the door.  Not that I won't personally greet you myself, but you know what I mean.  :o)

Now, since I was using a stamp rather than painting in a stencil, I would recommend not using a doormat that's really fibrous or anything.  With a stamp, it's basically a one-time shot and then you're stuck with what you've got, so at least with this bamboo mat the paint really stuck to it and didn't soak all the way in, so that one time was just enough.  With a really fluffy mat, one coat of acrylic probably wouldn't show up, so unless you're a great artist and can go fill in everything with a little paintbrush and more paint, I wouldn't suggest it.

Total cost of the project:  Zero dollars since everything was on hand.  The stamps were only around 3 bucks so even if I had bought them specifically for this project, that's still an incredible deal.  Not to mention it took less than five minutes.  Now for a cup of coffee before the little man wakes up from his nap.  :o)

 Linking up to Creations by Kara and A Little Tipsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...