11.23.2011

in the kitchen: four egg cake


My husband turned 30 yesterday, and in honor of that occasion I thought I'd share a yummy cake recipe that my mom gave to me a long time ago.  It's really simple to make, and separating the eggs makes all the difference.  Trust me.  :o)


{Four Egg Cake}

The Ingredients.

1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk

The Method.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Separate the eggs and set the egg whites aside.  Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together, then add the vanilla, almond extract, and egg yolks.  Then add the flour and baking powder alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with flour.  In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until fluffy and soft peaks form.  Fold the beaten whites into the batter.  Pour into greased pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.  Allow to cool before frosting.

I frosted this cake with chocolate frosting using the recipe on the can of cocoa powder.  It's a favorite in our house and really goes well with this cake.  A word of caution:  for some reason when I made this cake yesterday it decided to stick to the bottom of the pans for the first time ever.  I'm not sure if my store-brand nonstick spray was the culprit or what.  Next time I might line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper just to ensure it doesn't happen again.  At least chocolate frosting makes a good glue!  Can't even tell that both layers came out in pieces, huh?  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...