9.17.2011

eat your veggies: zucchini oven chips


These things rock.  You really don't need to know anything else.  Just look at the picture.  YUM.

I found this recipe through Cooking Light's website, and only modified it a little based on the ingredients I had on hand and the baking temperature.  This is enough for four people, but when I make them I scale the recipe way down since I'm the only one who eats them.  Here goes!

Zucchini Oven Chips
(adapted from Cooking Light)

The Ingredients.

1/4 cup dry Italian breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (the stuff in the can is fine)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tablespoons milk
1 large or 2 small zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch slices

The Method.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil, and then place an ovenproof wire rack on top of that.  Spray the wire rack with nonstick spray.

Now, this is the amount of zucchini I use since I usually only want to make enough for one person.


Use however much you want to, just adjust the other ingredients as necessary.

Combine the first five ingredients in a medium bowl.  Place the milk in a another bowl.  Set up an "assembly line" that looks like this.


{That bowl to the left has milk in it...I know it looks empty but it's not.  :o) }  Dip the zucchini slices in milk, then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.  Place the coated pieces on the prepared wire rack.


Spray the zucchini with more nonstick spray to help the browning process along.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned and crisp.  The original recipe says 30 minutes at 425 degrees, but I'm always afraid of burning mine so I opt for the slightly lower oven temperature.  My oven must be good and hot because after 22 minutes or so, my zucchini look like this.


Yeah they look better in person.  Anyway, serve these guys immediately while they're hot and crispy.  The thinner you slice them, the crispier they get (and also the easier they burn, so watch them!).  I like mine with warmed-up marinara or pizza sauce.


Enjoy!

Linked up to Creations by Kara!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...