7.05.2011

in the kitchen: strawberry pie smoothie


I read in a recent issue of Food Network magazine that a lot of restaurants and diners are starting to make milkshakes with slices of pie in them!  Throw a slice of pie in a blender with some ice cream and maybe a little milk, and you have an authentic pie-shake.  Um, I have one question.  Why did it take so long for this idea to catch on???  YUM.

I love pies, but rarely do we have actual pie in the house!  And if we do, we're probably more likely to eat it as nature intended...on a plate, with a fork, and maybe a la mode.  :o)

I'm a big smoothie fan, so I thought I would try to replicate this idea but make it a little healthier, and with ingredients I often have on hand.  I didn't really measure stuff as I went, but tried to estimate the amounts for the recipe.  As always, you can add more or less milk and yogurt depending on preference.

The Ingredients.

1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 cup lowfat milk
1/2 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt
2 graham cracker sheets, broken into several pieces

The Method.

Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth.  Add a little ice if desired.

This recipe is enough for one person.  The graham crackers blend into the smoothie completely, and give it a smooth, creamy texture that reminds me of a milkshake in a way.  Using half-thawed frozen strawberries would also give it a milkshake effect. This would also be good with other kinds of berries or peaches. And be prepared to have a spoon on hand in case your toddler wants you to share.  :o)

Linked up to Creations by Kara!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...