5.25.2011

in the kitchen: chocolate-chip banana bread

I have a confession to make.  I hate banana bread.  I love the way it smells when it's cooking, and will even lick the spoon when I'm done mixing up the batter, but for some reason once it takes on loaf-form I can't stand it.  I have a theory that just might explain this phenomenon though.  Back when my mom would pack my lunch for school, I quickly learned that sandwich + banana [divided by a factor of being in the same paper bag] = sandwich bread that tastes like bananas.  Some people may not mind this.  But I guess it bothered me enough to create a permanent aversion to banana bread.

Then one day early on in our marriage, my husband casually mentioned that he liked banana bread.  I snagged the recipe from my mom, added a personal touch of chocolate chips, and just like that banana bread was back in my life again.  I still don't like it, but according to my husband, it's pretty yummy.  So here you go.

The Ingredients.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 or 3 very ripe bananas)
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips

The Method.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray.  In a large bowl, use a handheld mixer to cream the butter and sugar together.  Add the eggs and bananas and mix until combined.  Stir in the flour and baking powder using a wooden spoon (you could still use the mixer at this point, but that usually makes a very nice flour mist all over your counter so I just opt to do this part by hand!), and then mix in the chocolate chips.  Spoon batter into the loaf pan, smooth the top, and then bake for 40-50 minutes.  I usually stick a butter knife in the center, and if it comes out mostly clean, it's done!  :o)

Hope you like it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey... putting chocolate chips in banana bread was MY idea! :) (And in oatmeal, yum!)

    Banana bread with strawberries in it is yummy too.

    smb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...