7.10.2012

quilts for kids

Sometime ago I found out about a wonderful program from Downy called "Touch of Comfort."  They send out quilt kits to willing volunteers in order to distribute quilts to children in hospitals all over the country.  It's a great opportunity to bless a child during a confusing and scary time, especially since they may not have their own blanket or lovey to comfort them.

I felt a stirring in my heart to help out.  Lately I've wanted to sew something for the babies I've lost.  But I was afraid that if I made a quilt in their memory, it would end up in a closet rather than be out on display.  This program seemed to fix that worry.  I could make a quilt and it could bless someone else as well as me.  Even though I wouldn't get to see that deserving child's face when they received the quilt, just knowing that it would help in some way was enough for me.

Another reason why I decided to take the plunge: our son had his own hospital stay when he was just under two weeks old.  Thankfully he got well, and will never have any memory of that time, but I sure do.  One of the memories that sticks with me is seeing older children walk down the halls while dragging their IV carts with them.  The pediatric floor was actually pretty cheerful for a hospital, but I remember thinking that no matter how much they dress it up, someone's kid is in the hospital, and it's just plain scary.

So I signed up online, and the kit came two or three weeks later.  I actually didn't get to really do anything with it for another three weeks; right around the time it came in the mail, I became slammed with Etsy orders.  Fortunately once things slowed down, it was no problem at all to piece together and sew.  The kit comes with pre-cut fabric (which I loved; the most tedious part of any sewing project is cutting the fabric!) and some instructions.  You donate the low-loft batting, coordinating thread, and the postage to send it back.  I found the instructions pretty straightforward, but I also consulted this tutorial at Make It and Love It since I'm more of a visual learner.  Here's the result!

 
How cute is that John Deere fabric???



The kit also contains a tag so you can personalize it a bit.  They let you name the quilt, so I went with "Built Strong!"


Whatever little guy uses this quilt, I'm hoping he'll know he's tougher than he thinks and he can get through anything, even the hospital.  :o)

I will definitely do this again.  Keep in mind that this is technically the first quilt I've sewn completely on my own, and that's saying something for how easy it is.  My only regret is that I waited too long to start it (they request that you send the completed quilt back within four to six weeks of receiving the kit), so I can't include a second quilt, something they also suggest since they're always in short supply.  Next time!

For more information on the Touch Of Comfort program, visit here.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...