It's done! Thanks to my awesome mom, we got this quilt done in essentially one weekend by working just a few hours per day.
We decided to just do one wide brown panel on either side of the center panel since the other panels I had made weren't really lining up (see this post). We sewed the top together and made our quilt "sandwich" on Friday. Then on Saturday afternoon we used painter's tape and a water-soluble marking pen to quilt straight, even lines.
Let me just say that the painter's tape idea is genius. It stays on when you want it, and comes off cleanly once you're done. And miraculously, neither of us accidentally sewed over it! We got the whole thing quilted in a few hours. Then on Sunday afternoon, we used the discarded panels from the original quilt top to make the binding and managed to finish the whole thing up before my son woke up from his nap.
My husband and I slept under this last night, and it was very comfortable. So pleased with the results!
Now we just need new pillows and a brown bedskirt. :o)
Here is the tutorial where I got the idea to make a quilt out of large panels, and you can find the tutorial for using painter's tape to aid in quilting here.
Sewing your own quilt for your bed certainly takes some work, but I'm so happy with how it turned out. It was fun sewing with my mom, and without her I know this would have taken me much longer to do on my own! Thanks, Mom! :o)
Linked up to Creations by Kara!